Featured Artist Bill Rainey

Collecting Art, take a look
New Zealand artist Bill Rainey presents a collection of majestic mountain landscapes created in a striking signature style. Enjoy more of his work by visiting his website.
I have had a lifelong engagement with mountains, as a climber, a hiker, and an observer moving through alpine environments over many years.
What continues to hold my attention is not simply their form, but the conditions they generate: the clarity of air, the volatility of weather, the tension between exposure and stillness, and the presence of life adapted to extremes. These experiences are the foundation of my work.
Over time, that experience has also been one of change. Glaciers retreat, conditions shift, and the balance of these environments becomes increasingly fragile. I don’t approach this as a subject to illustrate directly, but as something that informs the urgency and attention I bring to the work.
My paintings are not intended as descriptions of specific places. Instead, they focus on how a mountain environment is perceived and felt in the moment. While grounded in observation, I use abstraction to reduce and intensify that experience, retaining what is essential and discarding what is not. The aim is a form of accuracy that is perceptual rather than literal.
In the studio, the work is driven by mark-making that carries energy and structural intent. I am interested in how paint can compress distance, suggest movement, and hold atmospheric tension. Each painting is built through decisions that balance control and release, seeking a surface that feels immediate, resolved, and physically present.
The mountains of New Zealand provide a particularly demanding and generative context. Their scale, instability, and shifting conditions resist passive depiction. Instead, they require selection and focus, isolating moments where structure and atmosphere converge with clarity. The resulting works are not about location, but encounter.
The direction of my practice is toward greater reduction and precision. I am increasingly interested in how far a painting can be pared back while retaining its intensity.
At the same time, I am bringing this work to a broader international audience, positioning the alpine landscape not as regional subject matter, but as a field of experience held in a state of change.
Bill Rainey invites you to follow on Instagram.,
Comments
Post a Comment