Lake District Painting

Collecting Art, take a look
Our artwork of the week is ‘Brothers Water from Red Screes’ is a large Lake District painting by Cally Lawson. I am sure you will agree, Cally has beautifully captured the stunning lake and fells in her serene painting.
About the artwork
View of Brothers Water from Red Screes in late summer. The sides are painted soft grey. Ready to hang.
SEE ALL ARTWORK BY CALLY LAWSON
QUESTIONS TO THE ARTIST
Firstly, I love the marks you use in your artworks and the translucency. What technique do you use to create this and why?
I use a scraping out for my mark-making, removing paint to reveal the layer below. Depending on the subject, I also use acrylic paint pens or willow charcoal for some of my mark-making. The marks are to add texture, repetition and movement to the landscapes. The translucency comes from using several thin layers of paint.
Are your landscapes created in plain air, memory, or do you use images/photographs as reference? And what challenges do you face, if any?
I sketch and take photographs using my smartphone whilst out walking, then work in my studio at home, painting with the image fresh in my mind. There is some work from memory of the atmosphere, weather and place. You soon end up with a soggy sketchbook.
Are there other locations you like to paint, other than the Lake District?
I don’t usually paint any landscapes, other than in Cumbria, as it’s what I’m most familiar with. However, I did recently paint a seascape of the view from Charlestown in Cornwall as a reminder of our holiday there.
I see you use acrylic paints in this painting. Is this your preferred medium and if so, why? Have you tried other mediums?
My preferred medium is soft-bodied acrylic paints Liquitex. In the past, I have used most mediums, and still enjoy using watercolours to teach.
Lastly, which artist, place or thing, inspires you?
My favourite artist is Toulouse Lautrec. I like his use of line and the way he combines his painting and drawing techniques, as seen in Le Jockey.
Comments
Post a Comment